Is it worthwhile to educate a child in two or more languages? In addition to broadening future opportunities, early language learning helps different brain executive functions. Over the past few years, several studies have proven that bilingualism improves skills such as attention, memory or empathy:
- Bilingualism strengthens the child’s cognitive skills: a language is not only about its vocabulary, but also its expressions and meanings.
- It enhances empathy and social inclusion: the knowledge of two or more languages implies familiarity with other forms of expression and other cultures.
- It facilitates the learning of additional languages: it predisposes the brain to understand different grammars and assimilate new concepts.
- It makes the search for employment easier: especially in companies or positions with international projection.
- It develops the ability to point out objectives and promote planning and organization.
- It improves long and short term memory.
- It expands the cultural network: both bilingual children and adults will have access to cultural resources in several languages, encouraging different understandings of artistic, political and social manifestations.
In the age of technology, where children are digital natives, a bilingual education can be supported by resources that facilitate the learning of languages in a fun and entertaining way.
Smile and Learn’s more than 2000 activities are the perfect way for kids to learn Spanish, French, Portuguese or Italian, as well as a strong educational resource, for Spanish teachers specially, to organize and complete their materials with fun activities for children to learn and have fun.